Film projection experiment

Film projection experiment

I didn’t exactly turn out how I imagined. I borrowed Sarah’s small projector, and having never worked with a projector (or film for that matter) before, I realized all the complications that comes with being dependent on all this equipment to work. it needs to be dark, the resolution for the film and bringthness, or lack of brightness, can result in just not being able to detect whats happening in the film. I tried a quick experimentation of my initial idea, which is to draw/trace whats happening in the film as it happens. A kind of immidiate adaption/recording or the film onto a different medium. I apropriate images from movies and photographs in my drawings all the time, but they go through a long process of consideration and slow decision making, and I was interested in trying to speed up that process and quickly record my experience of the narrative. But that isnt exactly what happened; the images are moving quickly, so I need to draw them quickly which means the mark making process become very swift. Unfinished lines lie on top of each other in a very abstract recording, and the drawing in itself is really uninteresting. the interesting part is when i played the video over the drawing again, and a specific still came on and hit the exact marks i had been making previously at the first recording. The doubleness and recognition between film and drawing is really pleasing to me, and I need to work with that and find out a way to work further with that specific moment.

Film can be found here: